Monday 10 November 2008

The Quiet Warriors!

This was sent to me by the leader of our FRG.

The Quiet Warriors!

Wikipedia describes Veterans Day as “an annual American holiday honoring military veterans.” It goes on to describe a veteran as “a person who has or is working in the armed forces, or a person who has had long service or experience in an occupation or office.

At the risk of alienating my brothers and sisters in arms with whom I served more than thirty years, and without disrespecting, in any way, those warriors who have sacrificed much more than I could even imagine, there is another group of “veterans” we sometimes forget to honor, even take for granted, but should be honored right along those who have worn a uniform. They too are Warriors. They’re the Quiet Warriors.

We don't have a holiday in their honor. They just go on doing what we expect of them and reap no real benefits from their sacrifices. I've often said, and have always believed, that the folks who truly have the toughest job to do in the military are the families. They’re the Quiet Warriors. Now, don't get me wrong. After more than thirty years of active duty service and seeing all that I saw in those years, I know our warriors have a tough job to do. But, you know, we warriors sign up to do those tough jobs. When we go to battle we know that there's a possibility of not returning. When we get into battle we do what we're trained to do and we know what our responsibilities are. A warrior accepts the fact that, if required, she will give her life for her fellow warriors and her country.

Military families don't sign up for any of that. The really young families don't know that part of their contract is to possibly live a large portion of their lives without their spouse or without their parent. Oh, we tell them, but being told and living it are two different things. I recall, assigned to Ramstein Air Base in Germany not too long ago, I'd take every opportunity I could to go out to the DV (Distinguished Visitor) Hangar as a C-130, C-5, C-17, or some other type of aircraft would make it's turn toward that hangar. I'd stand there at attention and wait. I'd wait until the DVs in the aircraft were taken off. They called this the Missing Soldier Ceremony. The DVs were Warriors. They were taken off in flag-draped coffins. Luckily, Germany is usually wet most of the year, so I often credited the moisture in my eyes to the weather. As I'd stand there at attention, saluting my brothers and sisters in arms who made the ultimate sacrifice for freedom, I'd think about that little boy or girl who's daddy or mommy was not coming home as expected. What do you tell a three or four year old son or daughter who asks, "Where's my mommy?" Or, "When's Daddy coming home?" Oh, you tell them the truth as best you can, and you hug them and assure them that all will be well...in time. I'd also think about the spouse who already had twice the work to do for what was supposed to be a short time, but now would have those responsibilities for life. Military families have always had the toughest jobs, and they always will. They're the Quiet Warriors.

We should never forget the sacrifices past warriors have made for us but at the same time we should always remember the service our military families provided those warriors so that they could do what they did. And their work never stops. They continue to be the backbone of the Warrior Spirit.
Veterans Day is a great day to honor all of our Warriors. Let's make this a great day and honor our military families, the Quiet Warriors!

¡HeirPower!
bob vásquez

No comments: