Sunday 11 January 2009

Happy Birthday Martina!

Tomorrow is January 12th. To most people that is an ordinary day, but to me that is the day that my life changed forever. That was the day that I held my baby girl in my arms for the first time. I can’t believe it was 15 years ago!

Martina was in no way a planned pregnancy and she knows this, she knows that her father and I were teenagers and we tried our best to make it work, but we were just too young. Martina has had a rough life, to say the least. She remembers all of the fighting and yelling and violence. She remembers her father and I splitting up. She had a rough start to her life and she has still managed to blossom into the most amazing 15 year old I have ever had the privilege to meet.

Sometimes when I look at Martina, I just sit and stare at her in awe. My little girl was diagnosed with Muscular Dystrophy when she was 5 years old. She was supposed to be in a wheel chair by the time she was 12. She wasn't supposed to have a normal life, but she has proved all of those Drs wrong. God has had his hand in every aspect of Martina’s life since the day she was born.

God has used Martina to teach me patience, perseverance, and most of all unconditional love. This young lady loves everyone! She loves people who I think should just be wiped of the face of the earth. When I am ready to lose my mind and go off on someone because their stupidity is more than I can take, she calmly says to me “mom, it isn’t their fault, everybody has a bad day.” When she tells me this I don’t react like I should, I normally say something like, “Martina, stupid people have no place in this world.” I know I haven’t set a very good example to my children, but somehow they have all managed to grow into amazing people.

Martina I am so proud of you and I couldn’t have asked for a better first born. You have grown up with me these past 15 years and although it has sometimes been a bumpy road, you have never lost faith and given up.

I love you!

No comments: